Wednesday 29 August 2007

Hello!


Hello and welcome to my Blog type thing!
I'm pretty new to all this stuff so please bear with me whilst I learn everything on this.

Well, a bit about me first of all. I'm Response Plod. I'm a police constable of nearly five years and based on a Response team in London.

I love the job! Whether it loves me or not is another question! I'm having a falling out with it at the moment and wondering if I should move onto pastures new, maybe another area, maybe even another force? not sure.

They say money doesn't make you happy but it helps! The Mrs and I have a baby on the way, our first one due in a couple of months! so overtime is the key, so maybe moving to another force could be out of the question due to the pay decrease. I could never understand why every force has a different pay rate. We all do the same job and crime and scroats are no different any where else in the world let alone this country and house prices are virtually the same every where now and the last time I checked a Mars bar was 50p in Hull the same it is in London, so why the massive difference in pay?

Our rate of pay is definitely on the table for discussion at the moment what with the failure to reach yet another agreement with the government for the second year running. The Edmund Davies Formula looks to be undermined which if that means the government breaks the contract, surely that means we can strike? Yeah right! That'll never happen! Would you want it on your conscience that someone died because no one turned up to help? I certainly wouldn't! BUT that's exactly what the government wants! Us to have a conscience and come in to work because the job will never get done. It's not like they're going to call in the military again after what happened the last time and most are out fighting in the Middle East. They should bundle all nurses, teachers, police, fire, coast guard, etc etc together with the civil servants and MP's when it comes to funding. I reckon if they did that we could all have two jags!


“There is no greater responsibility than that which you as police
officers accept. And there is no greater obligation for us in government than to
support you in discharging that duty”.


Gordon Brown, ACPO Conference 2007


So if that's the case then Mr Prime Minister, we should get our pay increase we deserve then?

The fire brigade (yes I know they are brave for entering burning buildings but most cut people out of cars these days than fight fires, I know one fire fighter who hasn't been to a fire in 2 years!) can strike. The military step in with equipment to fight the fires and the Green Goddesses have been retired and now they can use the proper pumps the brigade use.

My point here is this, they want pay rises when they are sat playing a PS3 or XBox, sitting watching DVDs or playing basketball. During the night they sleep and may not get a call for days. However, police officers are on duty all the time. I ended up having a roll around with a violent drunk whilst in a restaurant and messed up my dessert course! My wife was really chuffed! What did I get for my troubles? a Reg 9, that's what!

We can't sleep whilst on duty, we end up risking ourselves everyday for a call. Many police officers have died going to a very routine call, we deal with terrorists, violent criminals everyday, death and destruction being part of the job we work yet the government see to it that they want to upset that very thin blue line.

Perhaps they want us out and a new outfit in......

............oh wait, they're already here and called Community Support Officers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more and to make matters worse the job isn't getting any easier, if anything it is getting worse and is far more dangerous than any of the other emergency services despite the confrontations they face. They don't have the potential of a volatile situation at every single call out. None of this is reflected in the pay and as far as I am concerned never has.

As for being served with a reg 9, thats just appalling!! they want you to uphold the law when both on and off duty and that's the thanks you get! Pathetic!

Mousie said...

Welcome to blogland RP. Good to have you with us.

Look forward to reading more.

Mousie.