Friday 21 September 2007

Police defend drowning death case

Snippets taken from the BBC and interlaced with my thoughts on this subject.

Police chiefs have defended two community support officers (PCSOs) who stood by as a 10-year-old boy drowned in a pond.

Jordon Lyon leapt into the water in Wigan, Greater Manchester, after his eight-year-old stepsister Bethany got into difficulties on 3 May.

Two anglers jumped in and saved Bethany but Jordon became submerged.

The inquest into his death heard the PCSOs did not rescue him as they were not trained to deal with the incident.

His mother, Tracy Ganderton, and stepfather Anthony, of Bluebell Avenue, Wigan, are demanding to know why the PCSOs did not try to rescue Jordon and why they did not give evidence at the inquest held by deputy West Manchester coroner Alan Walsh.

Mr Ganderton told the inquest: "I don't know why they didn't go in. I can't understand it.

"If I had been walking along a canal and seen a child drowning I would have jumped in.

"You don't have to be trained to jump in after a drowning child."

Mrs Ganderton said on Friday that the PCSOs in question should be named.

"If you're walking down the street and you see a child drowning you automatically go in that water.

"You don't care if you're going to lose your job or not, you don't care do you.

"I want them to be named. I want to know why they didn't go in, I want to know why they weren't at the inquest when I had to turn up there, and go through the pain of it all.

"I want to know why they didn't have to be there as main witnesses.

"They should have to be there. They shouldn't have a job."

Paul Kelly, chairman of the Police Federation in Manchester, said PCSOs do not have the same level of training as police officers to deal with life-saving situations.

He said: "The message is clear and unambiguous - it's the government, they are trying to fool the public.

"They take a person and dress him up as a police officer but they just don't have the same powers.

"Every single police officer I trained with left training school with a life-saving certificate of some sort."

He said the PCSOs might not have been able to swim and in that case they should not have risked their lives.

But he added: "People throw themselves into rivers and ponds to save people every day because it's the right thing to do.

"This is an accident waiting to happen again."
----------------------------------------

My heart goes out to that family! What on earth must have being going through those PCSOs heads as the boy struggled in the water to save his sister then his own life?! Then to watch two anglers go in the water to rescue them whilst they just stood there adds insult to injury!

If they couldn't swim then fair enough to a certain degree but what are the odds of both PCSOs not knowing how to swim? Paul Kelly is right about one thing, you would go into the water to save them, I would most certainly do it! Even if I did lose my own life but I rescued the child at least I can rest peacefully! It is the right thing to do!

You don't just stand there and watch a child drown because you didn't have the correct training! That's absolute bollocks! You're own survival instincts and protective nature should kick in and you would go in after them.

What the hell everyone helping must have thought whilst these two cowards stood on the bank is beyond me?! I'm sorry to say it, but in my opinion they are just that, "Cowards!" to hide behind the excuse "We've not been trained" not to go in the water is inexcusable!

This will happen more and more often, cheap officers who don't have the powers to deal are only going to injure themselves and others and in this case the loss of a life!

Scrap the PCSOs now! Re-invest the money back into the force and employ more Police Constables! We are trained to deal with these situations and we have an oath to save life and protect property!

If you train and equip a PCSO properly then surely they are Police Constables!

Rest in peace young Jordon! You were very brave and far braver than those PCSOs!

4 comments:

Grendel said...

Nail, hit and head springs to mind.

Anonymous said...

Completely agree with everything you've said. They shouldn't be in the job they're in if they aren't prepared to do everything they can to help or save someone (training or no training)

I'm not trained in lifesaving but that doesn't mean I'd use that as a pathetic excuse to stand by & watch a child drown, a child ffs!
It sickened me when I read it to be honest.

I don't know if they would have lost their jobs by wading in to try & save him or what, would they? Is it a possibility?

Whatever, there isn't an excuse. That little boy could possibly have been saved & they stood by & let him take his chances.

BelfastPeeler said...

Agree with what's already been said.

Pay civil servants to do the paperwork in the stations constables are doing now. That would get more REAL police on the streets.

cinders said...

I'm not a great fan of PCSO's but I feel this is an unfair write-up of the incident. It appears that the mothers account, so widely published by the media is not the correct version of the incident. It's journalist pieces like this, using half the facts, that damage the publics view of the police. Why doesn't anyone ask - why were her 8 and 10 year old children playing unsupervised at the edge of a deep and dangerous stretch of water ? I can't guess how the PCSO's actions would have affected the outcome but I know if they were supervising their children properly this would never have happened.