Tuesday 4 September 2007

What Do You See?

What do you see, what do you see?
What are you thinking when you look at me?
A crabby policeman shallow and unwise,
No life of my own just blank heartless eyes?

Nothing better to do than keep fighting crime,
Who constantly hears “I didn’t do it this time!"?
Who seems to notice everything that you do,
And forever is seeking out to blame you?

Who is only out to retain your free will,
With cuffing and questioning, the long day to fill?
Is that what you're thinking, is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, you’re not looking at me!

I'll tell you who I am if you take time for me,
Stop looking right through me, look closer and see.
I have a family, a wife and a home,
A mother, a father and kids of my own.
We laugh and we play, even watch DVD’s,
We playfight and joke, tickle and tease.

I do what I do not for the thrill of the chase,
But so your children and mine can grow in a safe place.
You do not see the tears I have shed,
For the times I have had to deliver the news that you dread.
When I see what makes my heart want to bleed,
I have to step forward and take the lead.

So open your eyes, look and see...
I’m not a crabby policeman.
Look closer... see me!

by a good friend "Dogberry"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you.
I am quite proud seeing as it's the first poem I have EVER done!

Response Plod said...

You're very welcome!

TotallyUn-Pc said...

dogberry you devil..... very good! can I post it on mine too... to get it circulated?

Response Plod said...

Just spoken to Dogberry and she said "Of course, I am pleased it is a hit with you guys, it means I am not far from understanding how misunderstood you all are"

Anonymous said...

Excellent poem. Really, really good. Might nick it for my blog if you don't mind Dogberry? Unless TUPC gets it done first of course! :)

Response Plod said...

Dogberry doesn't mind anyone using it for their blog as long as it is credited back to her. Thanks! :)

PCFrankyFact said...

Very good.
Very deep and emotional.
I'm more of a sarcastic bard myself.